toolbar powered by Conduit

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Looker Escapes From Temporary Jail

   A local man awaiting transfer to a state penitentiary has escaped from the Lawrence County Temporary Jail on Baler Drive.

   According to reports filed through the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department, Michael Ray Looker, age 45, of 385 Railroad Bed Pike, Summertown, apparently walked away from the facility sometime Wednesday.

   Looker was jailed March 24 after he allegedly assaulted his thirty-nine-year-old wife inside their home during an extended domestic situation. During the incident the wife reported that Looker had turned his rage upon her puppy, choking the small Chihuahua with his hands and punching it in the head repeatedly. He then reportedly threw the pup to the floor and kicked and stomped upon it “until blood and feces came out and it was dead.” Looker then picked up the pup and threw it into a trash can.

   Following the assault Looker was jailed on charges of aggravated domestic assault and intentional killing of an animal.

   Looker entered into a plea bargain agreement on April 13, pleading guilty to one count of aggravated assault. The intentional killing of an animal charge was dismissed. Under the agreement Looker was sentenced to a four-year prison sentence. The agreement specified that he serve thirty percent, or fourteen months, of his sentence before being considered for parole.

   Sheriff’s department officials indicate that Looker was being housed at the local facility, awaiting transfer to a Tennessee Department of Corrections prison. Authorities realized he was missing around 12:40 a.m. A head count and search turned up nothing. A “Be On the Look Out” alert was subsequently issued to area law enforcement agencies.

   Looker is described as a white male with gray hair and blue eyes, 5’8” tall, and weighing around 140 pounds. He has a medium complexion and several tattoos. Anyone who sees Looker is advised to contact the sheriff’s department at 762-3626 or advise Lawrence Central Dispatch by calling 911.